It’s true when people said that age is an issue of mind over matter. Barely 2 decades young, Chris Chew has already developed a knack for all things related to the creative department: filmmaker, photographer, DJ , parkour athlete, explorer, and we foresee that the list will grow as time goes on. Read on to know more about Chris!
1. Hi Chris! Tell us more about yourself to our readers?
Hi! I’m a 17 year old filmmaker, photographer & creative! I currently freelance video production & photography full-time. I will be starting college in March however I will still continue freelancing part time. My other hobbies/skills include being a YouTuber, DJ, a music producer, a parkour athlete & explorer.
2. What have actually inspired you to get into photography industry?
It was always my interest in something different and when I was much younger I would watch and learn countless videos on how to take photos and make videos just to learn more skills and tricks. It was always a passion of mine to record moments and make it look beautiful.
3. What makes a photo great?
For most people, a good photo is something aesthetic, beautiful and pleasing to the eye, However for me its much more than that, after a good photo another thing that makes a photo great is the meaning/story behind it. You could have a nice looking photo but has no meaning and it’ll end up with all the other photos that don’t change the world and inspire others!
4. We noticed that @faithlessfaces is inclined to portraiture photography, is there any reason behind it?
So my @faithlessfaces instagram is actually a photography experiment of mine; it was dedicated to be 100% portraits. For other types & styles of photos, I would post them on my main account @chrischew_
5. Do you have specific requirement in selecting models in taking picture?
Not really! But I prefer those who know what they’re doing because it makes the whole process easier and also if I know them personally as a friend because it makes it a lot more than a “shoot” you can connect with them and have fun at the same time!
6. You’ve a few YouTube videos about travelling, what is the biggest challenge of filming while travelling?
My number one issue would be the amount of gear I have to carry. For travel I would always have to keep it to a minimal. Another issue would be how every country has a different plug point so I would need multiple adapters to charge my equipment!
7. Since you’ve just bought the DJI Mavic Pro, what is the first choice of content that you are going to film?
I’m still experimenting with it but so far, I love it. I’m starting to take and post more drone photos and include drone footage in my client work, vlogs & other videos.
8. Who are your favorite local and international photographer?
Locally I’m really inspired by @sakiyurai for his portraits, @yaujiahong & @kosherunit for their crazy drone shots & @sugartard for his film style of photography. Shoutout to them! Mad respect.
Internationally, I love @sam_kolder, @rorykramer, @itchban, @lamyock, @doyoutravel, @elliotxingham & @mattjkomo to name a few that I really respect & look up to!
9. If there’s an opportunity, who would you like to collaborate with?
One of my dreams is to work & tour with The Chainsmokers or Martin Garrix or any artist I personally believe in to create content on tour and to regularly take video & photos for them.
Another dream opportunity is to travel the world with the most talented creators and make a living off of that which is slowly happening!
10. Beside photography and content creator, we know that you are also a DJ, did you perform at anywhere in KL?
I have performed quite a number of times in the past at various occasions/events like proms, parties, events to name a few. However currently I have a greater passion for video & photo so I will be focusing on sharpening my skills in the meantime.
11. Where do you see yourself in 2 years?