Diana Rikasari, a blogger-turned-fashion entrepreneur is a force to be reckon with her bold designs and vibrant personality. With 2 businesses under her belt and more to come, Diane walked us through her journey as an entrepreneur as well as her latest collection under her fashion label, Schmiley Mo. Enjoy!
1. Hi Diana! Tell us more about yourself, as well as Schmiley Mo and iwearup.
Hi! My name is Diana, a blogger turned into a fashion entrepreneur. I started UP in 2011 with the idea of making comfortable fun shoes, and after 5 years of running my shoe line, I decided to make another brand, but this time for clothes, called Schmiley Mo.
2. How’d you come up with the name ‘Schmiley Mo’?
I’m a very positive, happy-go-lucky person, and I basically love all things bright and happy and smiley. So I just put a twist to the word “smiley” and made it “schmiley”. Whereas “Mo” is from the word “modest”, because I wanted to make a line of clothes that are fun yet modest. I believe that showing less skin is more.
3. In your own words, what fashion means to you?
4. Where do you normally get your sense of style or inspiration from?
I like to explore different sorts of style, so I’m very open minded and dress up differently from day to day. Sometimes I’m into kawaii style, sometimes a bit rock and roll, sometimes retro, sometimes masculine; all depending on my mood.
5. What are some of the obstacles which you’ve encounter during your transition from being a known as blogger to a fashion designer?
I think being a fashion designer from a blogger has brought many benefits because of the fact that I at least already have some recognition by people out there. But of course there is a lot more to prove because I did not study fashion, so I have to work harder and keep learning everyday.
6. What are your essential go-to wardrobe pieces to instantly elevate your appearances?
Sunglasses, cute socks, statement earrings, an awesome jacket.
7. Is there any particular reasons behind the colors behind Schmiley Mo’s latest collection?
8. As we can see, there are always stickers and patches in all of your collection, what inspires you to include them in your design?
I have always been a fan of stickers. Stickers are so fun! It represents self-expression, something I always want to convey through my brand(s).
9. There are bright colours, stickers and patches on the collection, how do you make sure they look cohesive?
10. Are there any big plans for both of your brands in the future?
Of course! While UP is now trying to expand to countries outside Asia, Schmiley Mo will be having exciting new launches and collaborations this year. Other than that, it’s definitely a surprise!
11. Have you ever thought of collaborating with any local brands? Who will it be?
12. Are there anything that you wish to try out on your designs, but you haven’t get the chance yet?
I want to make really crazy shoes for UP! Think high platforms, neon colors, something extra!