With over 206 thousand Spotify streams on his song Blue, Sevenpie snagged an exclusive interview with the one and only Allester Shaun
From Kuching to the Good Vibes’19 stage, Allester Shaun is here to speak about music, and his inspirations towards his groundbreaking hits!
A fresh release from the 24-year-old had just showcased to his fans titled A.S.S (Another Sad Song) which was written about 2 years ago when a 5 year relationship was going downhill, not knowing that the catchy song would gain him mad attention from his fans, with over 16 thousand streams on Spotify alone. Allester Shaun is a homegrown musician that we need to all look out for!
1. Could you tell our readers a brief introduction about yourself?
My name is Allester, 24-years-old this year. I’m a full-time musician and also a full-time student.
2. When and how did you know that you wanted to pursue music? Were there any inspirations that drove you towards music?
I’ve been wanting to pursue music since high school but I’m always told to see it as a hobby especially when you grow up in an Asian household. I was inspired by my uncle who introduced me to classical rock bands such as Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and many more so basically I wanted to be a rockstar la haha.
3. You are born and raised in Kuching – Has the culture influenced the way you create music?
Yes definitely, I grew up in a community where there are a lot of talented people who can perform together and share musical knowledge with each other.
4. What is your creative process like when it comes to making music?
I usually start with the rhythm, then lead and finally, the melody for the vocals. But it really depends, sometimes I just sing out the melody first then try to find suitable chords for it.
5. A fresh new release, “A.S.S (Another Sad Song)” was just released just about a few months ago, what inspired you to create the song? What was the creative process like for “A.S.S”?
This song used to be a personal track which I kept for about 2 years now. I wrote this song because I was still having a hard time accepting the fact that my first relationship of 5 years went downhill. I decided to release the song this year because I found it catchy. For the composition of this song, I started off with the rhythm guitar then moved onto a repetitive lead and finally ended it with the vocals.
6. You have performed many of your songs over the years. What would you say is your most favourite song to perform live?
I would say “Blue” because this song was the foundation of my music career and still will be my top personal favourite.
7. You performed on the Good Vibes Festival’19 stage last year – the crowd went nuts during your performance! What was your experience like performing live on the Good Vibes stage?
It was exciting and overwhelming rather than nerve wracking to be honest. I also did not expect that many people to come to my slot because it was too early, but many did come and sang along to my songs. It was definitely the happiest moment of my life.
8. What song of yours would you recommend to first time listeners?
Everything starting from Blue haha!
9. Who would be your dream to perform and/or collaborate with in the future?
It would be awesome if I could make one song with Mac Demarco! That’s more than enough for me!
10. The local music scene has been evolving over the years, is there anything that you would change in the local music scene? If so, what would it be?
For now, I could say that we as Malaysians are getting more recognition in the music industry over the past years and there are so many talented youths to be discovered and waiting to be emerged at the right time.
11. For your fans who are thinking of starting a journey in the local music scene, what would be your advice to them?
Be true to yourself and don’t let others bring you down.
Follow Allester Shaun on all his social media pages by clicking here! Check out his music on music streaming platforms!
Header Image: Source