Is it just us or this “Dalgona Coffee” trend is seen everywhere on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and even TikTok!
What is Dalgona anyway? Dalgona is actually a Korean’s traditional sugar candy known as Ppopgi, made out of solely sugar and baking soda.
Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and social-distancing practises in Korea, Koreans have been making and sharing this Dalgona coffee recipe online in an effort to stay connected to each other.
The nickname came to be Dalgona coffee due to the taste of it that resembled the retro toffee-like Dalgona candy. And now, it is a coffee that reminds them of their social distancing period.
Now that we know the originating story of Dalgona coffee, let’s dive into how to go about making it!
The only ingredients you need are
- 2 tbsp of freeze dried instant coffee (any brand will do)
- 2 tbsp of white/ brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of hot water
- Ice (if you want it cold!)
- Pour the instant coffee, sugar and hot water into a small mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredient with frother *or* your hand for 3-5 minutes till the colour turns golden brown and make sure the mixtures turned into a thick consistency.
- Pour a few ice cubes and then, the milk into your favourite glass and top it up with the previous mixtures that you made with a spoon to coax it out of the mixing bowl. (P/s Skip the ice cubes to drink it at room temperature!)
- Voila! Stir it up and enjoy your self-made Dalgona coffee!
Here’s a tutorial found on YouTube just in case you need more assistance!
Let’s make use of this period of movement restriction to try out new stuff! Stay safe and hydrated everyone!