In recent weeks, as temperatures have risen throughout Malaysia, some have attempted to find inventive ways to escape the heat.
Daniel, a Malaysian college student, recently shared a creative project he made on the app TikTok.
In the 23-second clip, the student showed how he created his own DIY air conditioner for his dorm room. Sharing its appearance, the item looked fairly simplistic at first glance, using just a few accessible items that any person can attain easily.
@danielltwoplusaircond diy for student !!♬ original sound – cigarattes after sleep
The list of items required to make it include:
1. Stand fan
2. Polystyrene ice box
3. Ice shavings
4. Two disposable plastic bottles
Daniel also told us how to make this do-it-yourself air conditioner:
1. Make a hole on the cover of the ice box, and then make two holes on one side of the ice box
2. Add salt to the ice shavings, and then add the shavings into the ice box
3. Insert the two disposable plastic bottles on the two side holes made on the ice box
4. Close the lid of the ice box and lay the stand fan on top of the box
5. Turn the stand fan on and feel the cool airflow from the two holes of the plastic bottles from the side
In a short chat with the online publication mStar, the student from Kuala Lumpur University (UniKL) in Lumut, Perak, said that the DIY air conditioner can last anywhere from two to three hours, depending on the type of ice used.
“Every night when we go to sleep, we get to feel cool. For me, I gave this idea to my roommate to make his DIY air conditioner. For a small space like ours, we do get to feel cold. We’re going to attempt to use dry ice after this, to see if it can last longer,” he said in a conversation with mStar.
Daniel also said that the DIY air conditioner only cost RM30 to make, which made the project even more amazing. The ice box cost RM17, the ice cost RM10, and the salt cost RM3.
Isn’t it amazing to see how creative and innovative someone could be?