From music to the film industry, Elizabeth Tan has been making headlines all over Malaysia for her incredible talent!
Elizabeth Tan, a musician turned actress staring in local horror film , ‘Misteri Dilaila’ has been making waves all over Malaysia, from releasing hit songs to impactful acting, Elizabeth Tan is a name you’d want to remember.
Sevenpie received a golden opportunity with Elizabeth Tan, and in this interview we get an in-depth look of what goes on in her shoes, from music, film, and her fitness journey. Read on as we discover the life of Elizabeth Tan!
1. How has the year 2020 been like in the music industry?
View this post on Instagram
It’s been a different one for sure! No on ground events, and not many new song releases but it’s interesting to see how the industry adapted to doing online events instead and it’s been a whole new experience. Unfortunately there are a lot of musicians and singers who are very affected by the lockdowns, as our main source of income is through on ground events, so hopefully this whole nightmare of covid-19 comes to an end soon.
2. What made you want to pursue music? Were there any inspirations that inspired you to start your journey as a musician?
My main inspiration to start writing songs was Yuna, who is incredibly talented and will always be my number 1! As to what made me want to pursue music for a career, well to be honest I was just going with the flow. I randomly put up covers on my YouTube in 2013 and somehow they started picking up traction and I just thought to myself, why not give it a chance and see where this leads?
3. What is the creative process like when it comes to your music?
It’s different from song to song. Sometimes I get a random hook or melody in my head and I write around that, or sometimes I get the a few lines of lyrics in my head and write around that. I guess the most important point is that I never try to force it. If there’s nothing, then I’ll wait till the next “something” comes along.
4. ‘Semua Sudah’ has garnered over 4 million streams on Spotify alone, what inspired your song ‘Semua Sudah’?
I wrote the lyrics of Semua Sudah after quite an eventful year of my life. I’d just come out of quite a dark chapter, and had been through some very nasty stuff (to be honest, I’m very lucky to be still alive today), it was really bad haha. It was time for a new single and I didn’t want to just put out another typical love/break up song , so I decided to write about life instead.
5. As seen on your social media platforms, you’ve been a busy bee! What is the day-to-day like in the shoes of Elizabeth Tan?
View this post on Instagram
Well to be honest my work is very random and sporadic. Usually when there’s work, I get very very busy doing a lot of shoots (for commercials, tv shows, movies) and a few studio sessions here and there, but when theres no work then I’m just at home playing games on my phone, pc, or ps4! Hahaha .
6. You’ve been making headlines for your incredible music over the years, what was your earliest memory of when you realized that you’ve made it?
I’ve been blessed with a great group of people managing and guiding me through out my career and I have them to thank for all of it! I guess the earliest memory was seeing the first huge paycheck come in hahah! To me it was an acknowledgement of the work that I had put in.
7. Other than music your Instagram pictures has gained popularity with fitness related content, what would you say inspires you to work out often?
View this post on Instagram
Talitha inspires me everyday!! Most days I wake up and I have zero motivation to workout, then I’ll just open her ig stories and see how rajin and dedicated she is and then I’ll tell myself to not be such a lazy ass and just get up and start working out! Hahaha. Also I feel like I’m getting old to be honest, and my metabolism is definitely not what it used to be.
8. How do you find balance between working, staying fit and music?
I guess trying to be the most efficient I can be with whatever it is I’m doing, generally helps a lot. Work smart, not hard.
9. You’ve also branched out into the film industry, staring in films like ‘Misteri Dilaila’ (2019) , what inspired you to start your acting journey?
I’ve always loved acting since I can remember! When I was a kid I would lock myself in the room and just create situations and act in front of the mirror to myself. It’s the biggest passion in my life, though I wouldn’t say that I’m very good at it hahahaha (self awareness lol) . But I’m learning alot through every job that I get and I’m so grateful for all the opportunities given to me so far.
10. Are there any tips or word of advice that you would like to give to those who are planning to start their own journey into music, acting, or fitness?
If anyone plans to start a journey into the creative industry, it is of upmost importance to have a very thick skin! Hahahah. Especially with social media these days where everyone feels entitled to just pick apart, criticize and judge behind their mobile devices and screens, it is very easy to get lost in all the negativity. Make sure you have a circle of friends and family that you trust with your life around you, and only listen to the criticisms, advice and encouragement from this circle. Anyone else outside of this circle do not even know you personally, so there’s no need to take their opinion personally either. All the best, good luck, and most importantly, don’t forget to have fun!
Thank you Elizabeth Tan for doing this insightful interview with us, Follow Elizabeth Tan on Instagram to keep up with her journey by clicking here.
Header source: Source