Today’s Featured Interview brings us back to our local music scene. From time to time, we’ll hear stories from abroad about YouTubers who turned into singer when their songs become viral. This is the case for local talent, Pricilla Abby. From a backup singer at church, YouTuber who churns out viral EDM covers right till the day where she performs on stage for a crowd of 20,000, this Sarawakian-born lass keeps her chin up and her faith strong when the going gets tough. Read on to learn more about Priscilla!
1. Hi Priscilla, please tell us more about yourself.
I am a singer. I’m turning 21 years old this year. I started singing when I was young but I never knew that I can be a singer. It was until 2016 where I started to work with my music producer where planned to do more EDM musics, there’s where we released our first song cover, 可惜沒如果 by 林俊傑.
2. You garnered a lot of fans and attention ever since your uploaded EDM covers, how do you feel when you find out your cover “Mayday-Party Animal” exceed a million views which turned you into an internet sensation overnight?
Yes, “Mayday – Party Animal” is the second cover. Actually every time we posted a video, we never expect to garner a lot of views or followers. The reason why we do this is because we know that in Asia, the mainstream music genre doesn’t have a lot of EDM. On the contrary, EDM music is very popular in Western countries so we plan to bring it into Asia. Of course we are very happy and surprised that we gain a lot of followers and millions of views, which motivates us to do better.
3. What are the ups and downs in your life especially in your singing career? And how did you overcome them?
I think the hardest part in this career is that when you’re having your most emotional times and you have many things going on in your mind and your thoughts, you have to put on a positive side of you to perform on stage. Of course, everybody has their weaknesses and their down times. But I always believe that there’s always a God is always with me. And before every performance I will pray to Him and tell Him that I need His strength to strengthen me up. If you say when I’m having my down times without having any shows, I will cry out as loud as possible because that is the way of me expressing my feelings and I would pray.
4. It has come to our knowledge that you’re a shy person growing up. Do you think that you’ve become a different person now that you’re a professional singer?
Honestly speaking, I used to be a shy person but because I went to church and God changes me a lot. I started to approach people and talk to them in my effort to understand everyone. You know, just communicate. Growing up knowing that there’s actually more people like me who needs to open your heart and start telling them that “You are loved.” So I truly believe that my purpose in life, is to bring joy and encourage people with my stories, my song, my voice.
5. What are some of the turning points and major events in life which have contributed to the person you are today?
I think the major change is after my high school. I believe a lot of teenagers feel that too. You know after high school you’ll eventually feel lost and you don’t know whether you have to continue studying Or just work. As you know, I go to church so I met a lot of people. My church music director knows that I can sing because I do serve as back up singer in church. So that is the time when the music director discuss this plan with me, here’s my singing career started till now.
6. You performed in a massive crowd of 20,000 at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil for the world premiere of the highly-anticipated Lee Chong Wei: Rise Of The Legend biopic. Tell us more about your experience from that very night itself!
Well, that was my first time performing in front of 20,000 people. It’s my pleasure to perform, even though I wasn’t part of the movie. In fact, I had a great time performing on stage. I know many people have their own fears, but somehow you need to find a way to overcome it so instead of being nervous, I would prefer to just enjoy the performance. The storyline of the movie was really touching, and I can tell you that I’m proud to be a Malaysian!
7. With your hit songs “I Love The Sky” and “Burn”, are there any upcoming albums or projects in future especially the coming months of 2018 which we all can look forward to?
Of course they are going to be more songs coming up but it’s all still a secret. “Good things comes to those who wait!” Haha.
8. Any other life goals you want to achieve besides being a singer?
I want to be a wife! hah! Of course I have my other life goals but it’s all related to my singing career. I would want to have my own concert in Taiwan 台北小巨蛋 and China 北京鳥巢。I’ll set these two goals for now.
9. What are your advises to Malaysians who also dream to be a successful singer like you?
Do not give up on your dreams, pursue your dreams. Do not wait for it to come to you. We have to do our best first, so we will have a chance to do greater, better!
10. What are your life mottos?
“God is with me. Everything will be alright!”