When news of the Sultan of Kelantan’s resignation was made known, a myriad of reactions from netizens can be seen all over social media. Some expressed their appreciation and affection, while others were unfazed due to the speculations over the possibility of him abdicating days before the actual announcement.
Nevertheless, no matter the rumors and reasoning behind his decision, the former Yang Di-Pertuan Agong has fulfilled his responsibilities throughout his tenure as the Head of State. Let’s have a quick look at a few interesting moments that took place during his ruling (in no particular order).
1. Granted an audience to Prince Charles and Camilla at the Istana Negara
The purpose of the visit by Their Royal Highnesses was to commemorate the 60 years of diplomatic relationship between the Malaysia and the United Kingdom.
2. Witnessed the change of new government following PH’s victory in the 14th General Election
His Majesty presented the oath of office to Tun Dr Mahathir for the swearing-in ceremony as the Prime Minister of Malaysia for the second time.
3. Played an important role to the release of then PKR de factor leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim
Sultan Muhammad V granted a royal pardon to the president of the Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition, who was sentenced to five years in jail for apparent sodomy.
4. Made a witty remark that tickled the newly sworn-in lawmakers with his joke
Moments before delivering his royal address during the opening ceremony of the 14th Parliament, he made a jibe regarding the walkout staged by Opposition MPs during a swearing in previously.
*skip to 0:43 to see what he said
5. Taught us that the King needs his water, too. On live TV
This happened while officiating the first meeting of the fifth session of the 13th Parliament, amusing the MPs and others who were present at the venue.
*skip to 0:25 for the bit
Feel free to comment down below other moments you think we’ve missed out on!
Header image source is from here.