Friendship Day is just a couple of days away! While we shan’t wait for one particular day to celebrate love and friendship, 30th of July is a day where we all reflect upon the bonds that we’ve made; for some friendships are here for a season or a reason, whereas others last for a lifetime!
Some say that best friends are siblings that we get to choose.
True friendship is when someone knows you better than yourself; someone who celebrates you for who you are, triumphant moments or time of despair, they are always there to cheer for you and lift you up. They speak words when it’s needed, and they share the silence with you when words fail to string into sentences.
In the days to come, Sevenpie will be releasing real stories about the best of friends (some of you might even recognize them from social media!). Through their stories, you will be able to learn a thing or two about how they friendships blossomed, and in spite of the dynamic of their friendships, how they weather through the turbulence of life, together.
In today’s read, Sevenpie has had the opportunity to interview two of the most eminent power ladies in the social media world. Two complete opposites, yet these two puzzle pieces make the perfect fit. Meet today’s #BFF duo: Jane Chuck, founder of Chuck’s and ‘Self Love’ advocate, together with Daphne Charice, the chart-topping songbird, and lover of all things music. For this #BFF duo, there is never an end to making great memories.
So get comfy, and grab your best pals because these are reads that you don’t want to ignore!
1. Hi Jane and Daphne! Thank you for taking the time out from your busy schedules to have this interview with us! Now, we all know that Daphne is the gifted music queen, while Jane has a knack on all things beauty and creativity. A quick flashback, how did the both of you “clicked” together when you both met for the first time? Would you say that both of you are total opposites?
J: Honestly, I have no idea when or how we clicked. We just did. I guess it’s probably because we have gone through our breakups together. We have also got closer through MSN.
D: Jane and I are total opposites! We met when we were 14 years old. At that young age, Jane was already super fashionable: doing her hair, putting on makeup, wearing contact lenses, you get the gist! I was the total opposite: a bookworm, with my pair of spectacles. I can’t remember how we clicked. She just gets my jokes and she knows what I’m thinking even when I don’t say it.
2. We’ve seen both of you attending many concerts together! Can you share with us some of your memorable concerts together, and why?
J: A few of the most memorable ones to me would be Lorde in Sydney. It was the first concert we’ve ever attended together and was also when we first started #DaphChuck. Since then, we came out with a list of artist we want to check out together. A few more others would be Coldplay in the UK, and Coachella was pretty crazy!
D: It would be Coldplay, and James Bay in England. Jane was going through a rough patch with her now-husband a few years back. She wanted to get out of the country, and we did! Coachella, hands down, has also been one of the best concert experience we’ve been to together.
3. Please spill a little more tea on the story behind the “Blessed” BFF tattoo that both of you got together?
J: “Blessed” is pretty much our life motto. And we didn’t want to get something that we would regret, so we tattoed the word “Blessed”.
D: For Jane & I, the word ‘Blessed’ serves as somewhat a reminder for us to be appreciative of each other and for everything. ‘Blessed’ is subtle yet meaningful, and of course, not too cheesy! We always feel lucky and grateful for the things we have in life.
4. Some of the best gifts that we get from friendships are the help that we give and receive from one another, all to be the best version of ourselves! Share with us what are the traits you find admiring about one another, and how this sisterhood has helped grown you at a personal level.
J: Daphne has a kind heart. I’m pretty much a realist, which sometimes, I think I need to tone myself down for a bit.
D: Jane is really wise. It’s like a 70-year-old living in a young body! She’s always ready to give and never selfish. Jane has definitely taught me to love myself more. Her bursting positivity just makes me feel more confident about myself. Hence, I hope Jane’s simple message of self-love can spread to more people, especially through her “Self Love” facial mask product!
5. As one of the notable high-fashion and beauty influencers in Malaysia, have the both of you ever envied about each other’s achievements and progress? How do both of you not let the “spotlights” get into the way of your friendship and stay grounded in the eyes of public scrutiny?
J: Daphne and I make it a point to be honest with each other. We often talk about life and these talks are the ones that push us to become better. Instead of envying one another, we look up to each other.
D: A lot of people have asked us this question. I think the key to building a successful and sustainable friendship is relatively simple: instead of being envious of one another, be happy for each other! No matter what you do, there will always be someone out there who is better than you. So why put your best friends, of all people, as your competitor?
6. Jane is the founder of Chuck’s, the creative mind behind the highly-anticipated “Self Love” honey mask, whereas Daphne has just released your first new single that has topped the chart for new releases! How do both of you support each other’s crafts?
J: I’m really happy Daphne finally did it! To be honest, Daphne gets really worried about her music. Sometimes, all she needs is a little push, a little confidence booster. It was her first Chinese single, and all our friends were so happy that it topped the charts! I certainly can’t wait for her music video!
D: Not many people have seen the behind-the-scenes of what Jane went through especially in starting Chuck’s from scratch. The research and development she has invested in, the time, effort, and energy was, simply put, admirable. To get to try Jane’s products and recommending it to people, knowing the effort she has put in, is truly a privilege for me as her friend.
Musically, Jane has given me plenty of creative ideas on music marketing. She’s also one of the leads in my upcoming music video, which will be released mid-August.
7. What are the most important qualities that both of you would want and look for in a friend?
J: The most important quality I look for is honesty and sincerity.
D: Honesty, and someone who genuinely believes in me.
8. Any masterplans that we can expect from the #DaphChuck duo in the near future?
J: Hopefully soon!
D: More fun content, perhaps!
9. Share a message for one another this Friendship Day!
D: I finally made you cry during the Maid of Honour speech.