According to the Lunar calendar, the 7th month of the year, July is known as Hungry Ghost Month. This is from the Chinese customs where July is the month where the gates of hell are opened and free the hungry ghosts to seek food on earth for the whole month. Let’s check out the 10 don’ts during the Hungry Ghost Festival.
1. Do not turn your head when someone pats your shoulder or calls you’re name in the public, because when they pat on your shoulder or turning your head over shoulders will put out the two “torches of fire”.
2. Do not stand under a tree or any bus stop after operating hours at night because when the time is too late, spirits prefer all the dark and cold places and they might follow you home.
3. Do not get married during this month. People believed that when you marry during the Hungry Ghost Month you might end up with a bad ever after. Also, during your wedding reception, might have “uninvited guests” celebrating with you.
4. Do not hang clothes at night. It’s because the wandering ghosts will thought that’s prepare for them so they will “try on” the clothes.
5. Do not talk about ghosts or make fun of them because they think you are trying to attract their attention.
6. Do not pick up anything on the ground when you are outside. If it doesn’t belong to you, don’t them pick up especially coins! This is because people throw coins on the street as part of the Hungry Ghost Festival ritual for the spirits so, just don’t be greedy.
7. Do not put chopstick upstraight in the middle of your bowl of rice, because it looks like you are praying.
8. Do not swim during the month because you will never know what happens next! People believed that the spirits are going to twist your ankles in the water so just stay away from it.
9. Do not comb your hair at the strike of midnight and look into the mirror because this will make you see the spirits. Please take shower as early as possible so you don’t have to dry your hair at night girls!
10. Do not paint your nails in dark colours (especially black) because the spirits may think you are one of them. So to avoid them from leading you back to hell, put on some bright and warm colour during the Hungry Ghost Month!
Feeling the chills yet? Check out this list to find out which are horror movies to watch with your buddies!
Header Source Image: taiwannews